Thursday, September 18, 2008

Camping for Colten




We took Colten on his first camping trip this past weekend - just a long weekend (Thursday thru Sunday) at Lake Nacimiento. The trip was, ostensibly, for my birthday, but I think I've realized that now that I have a baby my birthdays no longer count. Besides, camping with a baby is not exactly a relaxing way to spend a birthday. Maybe next year I'll just ask for a day to be completely alone. I'm not completely alone very much anymore. I went by myself to pick blackberries the other day, and I couldn't believe the freedom. If only I didn't have that nagging feeling in the back of my head that I have to get back home...before the baby gets hungry, or starts crying, or Tim starts to worry. Because if it weren't for those things, I could have stayed all afternoon.


Anyways. So we took Colten camping, and he was good! My parents were there, and some friends came up for the last two nights, so there were lots of hands to pass the baby off to. Unfortunately, Colten's too small to go boating (just because I say so), so he had to stay up in camp with someone while everyone else went out skiing and tubing. He slept in the tent with me and Tim and Strider, and only cried one night, and not for very long. Changing diapers is fun in a tent.


Everyone told us, "You can't camp with a baby!" Well, we did. And hopefully we'll do it again soon!

No comments: